Certain steps are mandatory prior to your arrival depending on the duration and the status under which you wish to stay in France.

The hosting agreement is the official document that specifies the nature and duration of your research. Only people with of a hosting agreement may claim “RESEARCHER” status in France.

The approved host body in France is responsible for drawing up the hosting agreement (filling+validating).
> Hosting Agreement : more information and model

Then, the host body sends it to you. You have to provide it at the time of your “researcher talent passport” long-stay visa application to the French consulate of your country of origin before your departure, or for the renewal of your residence permit if you are already in France.

Hosting bodies

To find out about the “hosting agreement” or get a blank copy of a hosting agreement,
contact us: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Eligibility criteria for researcher status:

  • Degree: have a degree at least equivalent to a MASTER’S
  • Resources: have an employment contract or a scholarship ensuring the necessary financial resources (at least minimum wage equivalent to the SMIC)

The hosting agreement constitutes authorisation to work in France, and therefore dispenses with the application to DIRECCTE in order to take up a job.

If you are enrolled in a doctoral course in a higher education institution without a hosting agreement, the “STUDENT” status applies.

The visa permits legal entry to French territory.
It has to be applied for from the French consulate/embassy in your country of origin, prior to your departure.
There are several types of visas, depending on the nature and duration of your stay in France, with varied procedures and possibilities once you are in France.

Long-stay “D” visas

  • “Researcher Talent Passport” / “Scientist/Researcher”: VISA only issued to doctoral or post-doctoral students with a “hosting agreement” validated by the Prefecture:
    “R311-3-9° researcher talent passport” ,“scientist/researcher” or “L313-20 4° researcher talent passport”
  • “Student”: VISA issued to doctoral (or lower level) students enrolled in a higher education institution in France, and who do not have a hosting agreement
  • “Family Talent Passport”: VISA issued to spouses of researchers who come to stay in France
  • “Visitor” VISA issued to spouses of students (doctoral or lower level students)

“C” short-stay visas

Issued for a stay of less than 90 days, it allows you to stay legally while it is valid, but no extension of stay is possible subsequently from within the country.

If you are invited to France for a period of less than 3 months, a short-stay visa should be applied for. In this case, it is not necessary to provide a hosting agreement and an invitation letter from the university is sufficient to formalise you being hosted.

European nationals

If you are a national of a European Union country, of the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland, you may stay and work in France without a VISA. No administrative procedures are required.

Bandeau BasDePage 2020

Back to top